Sanding floors is a great way to bring new life to your home. It can also be very beautiful if done correctly. However, there are many mistakes that you can make when sanding your floor that could ruin the project and even harm your home. To help prevent these mistakes from happening and ensure that you have the best experience possible, here are some of the most common Floor Sanding Melbourne mistakes people make:
Hiring an unlicensed contractor.
- Find out if the contractor is licensed. Make sure that the contractor has a valid license for your state and county and that it hasn’t expired. Check with your Better Business Bureau to see if there are any complaints against them.
- Don’t hire unlicensed contractors: they may not be able to do the job properly and may be working illegally without insurance in case of an accident or injury on site.
- If you suspect a contractor doesn’t have the required license, call your local building department to check their records or ask them to find out whether someone is licensed.
- A good way to avoid hiring unscrupulous contractors is by checking references from past customers before hiring them for any work at all! This can help ensure that these individuals are trustworthy (or at least don’t have any unresolved legal issues) so that no one gets hurt unnecessarily during installation/remodeling projects around their property.
Accepting a “too good to be true” price.
When you are ready to hire a floor sanding contractor, it is important to ensure you get the best price for your money. The last thing you need is to hire someone who will not do quality work on your floors at a reasonable price.
Luckily, there are some things that you can do in order to avoid falling victim to this pitfall. First of all, when talking with potential contractors about their prices, do not accept their first quote as being final and don’t blindly take the lowest quote either. Instead, try asking them if they have any other offers or rates available before making your decision so that you have options available when choosing which one is right for your home or business in particular!
Buying cheap sandpaper.
Cheap sandpaper is a mistake you’ll regret. Cheap sandpaper will scratch your floor, ruining your hard work and leaving you with a poor finish. Cheap sandpaper will also not be as effective, requiring more passes of the sander to achieve the same results.
Not testing for lead-based paint in old homes.
Lead-based paint is a very dangerous product that was widely used prior to 1978. In old homes, there’s a good chance that you’ll come across lead-based paint somewhere in your home.
Lead-based paint can be found on:
- Doors and windows (window sills)
- Walls, ceilings, floors and windowsills (in bathrooms and kitchens)
- Ceiling beams between wall panels (in dining rooms)
Do your research and hire a reputable contractor. You can find great contractors by reading reviews on sites before hiring Floor Sanding Melbourne expert. Hire total floor service for the premium flooring service, why not get a quote today!