Are you tired of looking at your weathered deck, dreaming of summer evenings relaxing in its beautiful embrace?
Deck restoration may be just what you need to breathe new life into your outdoor oasis.
But how much will bringing back that vibrant and inviting space cost?
This article will explore the average decking restoration Melbourne cost and provide a comprehensive breakdown of the expenses involved.
We’ve got you covered, from calculating restoration costs to exploring DIY options versus hiring a professional.
Discover the secrets to saving money on deck refinishing and unleash the full potential of your deck.
Average Deck Restore Cost
Deck restoration is a wise investment to return your old, weathered deck to its former glory. But how much does it cost to restore a deck? The average deck restoration cost depends on several factors:
- Deck Size: Larger decks require more materials and labour, making them more expensive to restore.
- Deck Condition: Decks with extensive damage or rot may require additional repairs, increasing the cost.
- Decking Material: Different types of decking, such as wood or composite, have varying decking restoration Melbourne costs.
- Deck Finish: The choice of staining or sealing can impact the overall cost of restoration.
On average, deck restoration costs between £500 and £2,500. However, these figures can vary depending on your project requirements and location.
By hiring professionals from Total Floor Service, experienced in decking restoration, you can ensure high-quality workmanship and long-lasting results. While DIY deck restoration is an option, it can be time-consuming and challenging, leading to potential mistakes.
Investing in deck restoration is not only beneficial aesthetically but also increases the lifespan of your deck. So, don’t wait any longer; give your deck a new lease on life with professional restoration!
How to Calculate Deck Restoration Costs?
If you’re planning to deck restore and wondering about the costs involved, it’s important to consider a few key factors. You can calculate the deck restoration cost and make informed decisions by understanding the deck refinishing cost calculator and these factors. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Evaluate the deck’s condition: Assess the level of damage and decay in your deck. Identify any rotted or damaged boards, loose fasteners, or structural issues that require repair.
- Determine the deck size: Measure the square footage of your deck’s surface area. This will help estimate material quantities.
- Choose restoration method: Decide if you’ll refinish the deck yourself or hire our professionals for the job. Labour costs can vary based on the complexity of the restoration process.
- Select materials: Research decking materials and their costs. Evaluate whether you need new boards, stains, sealers, or other supplies. Consider the durability and longevity of the materials.
- Get cost estimates: Reach out to local contractors or suppliers to obtain quotes for the required materials and labour. Ensure you get multiple estimates to compare prices.
Remember, the deck restoration cost can vary based on the deck’s size, the extent of damage, and the materials used. By following these steps, you can calculate the deck restoration cost accurately and plan your project accordingly.
Deck Refinishing Cost Breakdown
It’s important to understand the cost breakdown when it comes to deck refinishing. Knowing how much you can expect to spend will help you plan your budget accordingly. Here is a breakdown of the expenses involved:
- Cleaning: The cost of cleaning a deck can vary depending on the deck size, the extent of dirt and grime buildup, and the method used for cleaning. On average, professional deck cleaning services can range from $0.50 to $3.00 per square foot. DIY cleaning solutions may cost less but require your time and effort.
- Stripping: If your deck requires stripping to remove old finishes or paint, expect to pay between $0.75 and $2.50 per square foot for professional services. DIY stripping products are available for around $20 to $50 per gallon, but you’ll also need equipment like brushes, scrapers, and safety gear.
- Sanding: Sanding typically costs between $0.50 and $3.00 per square foot for professional services, depending on the condition of the deck and the level of sanding required. DIY sanding equipment rentals or purchases can range from $50 to $200 or more, depending on the type and size of the sander.
- Repairing: The cost of repairing a deck can vary widely depending on the extent of the damage and the materials needed for deck repair cost per square foot and so on. Depending on the job’s complexity, hiring a professional contractor for deck repair cost can range from $100 to $500 or more. DIY repairs will cost less but require the purchase of materials.
- Staining/Sealing: The cost of staining or sealing a deck depends on factors such as the size of the deck, the type of stain or sealer used, and whether professional services are hired. On average, professional staining and sealing services can range from $1.50 to $5.00 per square foot. DIY staining and sealing products typically cost between $20 and $50 per gallon.
- Applying a Finish: If you apply a protective finish after staining or sealing, expect to pay an additional $0.50 to $2.00 per square foot for professional application. DIY application of finishes will cost less but requires purchasing the appropriate materials and tools.
- Maintenance: Ongoing maintenance costs for a refinished deck may include cleaning supplies, additional staining or sealing as needed, and periodic repairs. Budgeting for annual maintenance can help prolong the life of your deck and prevent costly deck repair costs down the road.
Remember that these costs are estimates and can vary depending on factors such as your location, the condition of your deck, and the specific products and services you choose. It’s a good idea to obtain multiple quotes from reputable contractors and suppliers to ensure you get the best value for your deck restoration and refinishing investment.
Additional Cost Considerations while Restoring Your Deck
When it comes to deck refinishing and restoring, there are additional costs and considerations to keep in mind alongside the deck refinishing cost. These factors can affect the overall expenses and ensure a successful decking restoration.
- Decking material: The type of decking material you have, such as wood or composite, may influence the cost of restoration. Wood decks often require more frequent maintenance, like sanding and staining.
- Deck size and condition: Larger decks will typically cost more to refinish due to the increased materials and labour. Neglected decks in poor condition may require additional repairs, which can add to the overall cost.
- Deck complexity: Decks with intricate designs, such as multiple levels or built-in features, may require more time and skill to refinish, leading to higher costs.
- Additional services: If you wish to enhance your deck’s appearance and longevity, additional services like power washing, sealing, or replacing damaged boards may be necessary, impacting the overall cost.
- Professional expertise: Hiring an experienced deck restoration professional ensures quality work but may come with higher labour costs than a DIY approach.
Considering these factors alongside the deck restoration cost will help you determine the overall investment needed for your deck restoration project. Remember, proper maintenance and refinishing will improve your deck’s aesthetic appeal and extend its lifespan, providing you with long-term enjoyment of your outdoor space.
DIY Deck Restoration vs. Hiring a Professional
When it comes to deck restoration, you may be wondering whether to tackle the job yourself or hire a professional. Both options have their merits, and it’s essential to consider the cost implications.
DIY Deck Restoration:
- Allows you to save money on labour costs.
- You have complete control over the restoration process.
- Requires a significant amount of time and effort.
- Mistakes can result in costly repairs.
Hiring a Professional:
- Professionals have the necessary expertise and experience.
- Saves your time and effort.
- May be more expensive due to labour costs. But, the investment in deck restoration would be worth it.
Ultimately, deciding between DIY deck restoration and hiring a professional depends on your budget, available time, and skill level. DIY can be cost-effective if you have the necessary experience and are willing to invest the time. However, hiring a skilled decking restoration Melbourne service like ours is worth considering if you prefer a hassle-free experience and want the assurance of professional results.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I know if my deck needs restoration?
- A. Signs that your deck may need restoration include:
- Discoloration or fading of the wood.
- Warping, cracking, or splintering of boards.
- Mildew, mould, or algae growth.
- Peeling or flaking of old finishes.
If you notice any of these issues, it’s a good idea to inspect your deck thoroughly to assess the extent of the damage and determine if restoration is necessary.
How long does deck restoration typically take?
- The timeline for deck restoration can vary depending on factors such as the size and condition of the deck, the extent of repairs needed, and the weather conditions. Generally, a basic deck restoration project involving cleaning, sanding, staining, and sealing can take a few days to a week to complete. More extensive restoration projects that require additional repairs or treatments may take longer. It’s important to factor in drying times between steps and to plan accordingly to minimise disruptions to your outdoor space.
Will the deck refinishing protect my deck from future damage?
- While deck restoration can significantly improve your deck’s appearance and structural integrity, it may not completely prevent future damage. However, proper restoration techniques, including cleaning, repairing, and sealing, can help protect your deck from common issues such as moisture damage, UV exposure, and wear and tear. Additionally, regular maintenance, such as cleaning, resealing, and promptly addressing any repairs, can help extend the life of your deck and minimise the risk of future damage.
Deck restoration can be a significant investment, but the benefits are substantial.
On average, the deck restoration prices range from £2,000 to £5,000 depending on various factors such as the deck size, condition, materials, and labour involved.
Calculating the expenses requires careful consideration of the deck refinishing cost breakdown, including deck cleaning, staining, and repairs.
Additional factors like hiring Total Floor Service, a professional for decking restoration Melbourne services can affect the cost, but it would be worth your investment. Our experts will make sure that we can provide you the affordable services with effective solutions. So, get in touch with us and let us know when we start restoring your deck.